Bekas perdana menteri itu dalam tulisan blog terbaru hari ini berkata, Putrajaya sepatutnya boleh mengelak daripada mengenakan GST terhadap rakyat dengan menjimatkan perbelanjaan sendiri.
"Dana tambahan dikutip melalui perbelanjaan rakyat. Mereka terpaksa bayar lebih bagi setiap pembelian, maknanya kuasa beli mereka menurun. Erti kata lain, rakyat semakin miskin hanya semata-mata untuk mengayakan kerajaan.
"Dengan memperkenalkan GST, kerajaan sebenarnya menyuruh rakyat termasuk mereka yang bukan golongan pembayar cukai, menyelamatkan kerajaan," katanya melalui tulisan di blog popularnya chedet.cc hari ini.
Berikut adalah sebahagian tulisan Tun Mahathir..
As for the GST, the additional fund raised through it is at the expense of the people. They have to pay more for everything they buy, which means their purchasing power is reduced. In other words they have become poorer, in order to enrich the Government.
7. Even if what they buy is not subject to GST, but the wholesalers who supply the retailers have to increase their price because they have to pay GST. The retailers in turn have to recover the higher cost by charging their customers more. In the end the people have to bear the GST cost.
8. The Government can avoid this additional tax on the people by reducing its own cost. Giving out money to all and sundry may be popular but in most cases the recipients do not really need the money. It is far better to educate and train people for higher-paying jobs when incomes would increase substantially in return for work done. Raising wages without increases in productivity, increasing the number of holidays, substituting those falling on weekends, fixing high minimum wages, wasting money on luxuries – all these increase Government expenditure, resulting in increased deficits. With better financial management the GST need not be imposed on the people.
9. Of course adventures such as the 1MDB and Pembinaan PFI only result in unsustainable borrowings. And when these adventures lose money, the financial burden of the Government is increased. By introducing the GST, Government is actually asking the people, including those who are not in the income tax bracket to bail out the Government.
10. An elected leader is not impervious to removal before his term is out. The previous PM was also elected, in fact with a bigger majority. But he was persuaded to step down by the current PM.
11. So what is wrong with asking the current PM to step down. He has obviously made a bigger mess of the country than the previous PM.
12. Before this, there was no talk of PM’s lavish spending, of purchases of expensive things, of a life of luxury. Some of these talks may not be true. But such talks were not heard during the tenure of the previous Prime Ministers. That there are such talks must be the result of a way of life that is different from what is expected of Prime Ministers.
13. For these and many other reasons, Najib should step down.
Please continue yours reading HERE