But... Najib and UMNO dont care what its all about sir.. their intention is only to put Anwar behind the bar..
“The prosecution has obviously been compromised, even by the mere perception that a member of its team has been guilty of wrongdoing. Removing Farah Azlina from the team has not solved the problem because her wrongdoing has tainted the entire prosecution and the integrity of the trial,” Mark Trowell, a Queen's Counsel based in Australia.
By Asrul Hadi Abdullah Sani
KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 21 — An international organisation of parliaments has urged Malaysia to abandon the prosecution of Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim for sodomy because it claims the case has brought disrepute to the justice system.
In a special report released in August, the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) also questioned the alleged direct involvement of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak and SAC I Datuk Rodwan Yusof, who had met Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan days before Anwar allegedly sodomised him.
“The prosecution has obviously been compromised, even by the mere perception that a member of its team has been guilty of wrongdoing. Removing Farah Azlina from the team has not solved the problem because her wrongdoing has tainted the entire prosecution and the integrity of the trial,” Mark Trowell, a Queen's Counsel based in Australia, wrote in a report on behalf of the IPU.
Deputy public prosecutor Farah Azlina Latif was in the team prosecuting Anwar when allegations surfaced that she was romantically involved with Saiful.
However, Attorney-General Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail stressed that the junior prosecutor was removed to prevent negative public perception of the Sodomy II prosecution team.
The report said Farah’s relationship with the complainant had denied Anwar a fair trial.
“If it is accepted the complainant improperly obtained confidential information from Farah Azlina that enabled him to tailor his testimony to fit within the physical evidence, then the case has been compromised to the extent that Anwar could never obtain a fair trial.
"Even if Mohd Saiful did not gain confidential information from Farah Azlina, the perception that he did not would taint any subsequent trial in the same way,” said Trowell.
Trowell also stressed that there were serious allegations of political interference in the case at the highest level.
“The prosecution of Anwar has occurred within a context of the admitted involvement of the prime minister and his staff, the Attorney-General, the senior assistant commissioner and the bringing of a charge at a time when Anwar had just returned to Parliament to challenge the ruling coalition when its fortunes were flagging,” he said.
The report said the alleged involvement of Najib has brought the country’s justice system into disrepute.
“The direct involvement of the prime minister, the Attorney-General and the senior assistant commissioner has allowed the defence to question their role in the bringing of the charge against Anwar. It is something that has the potential to bring into disrepute the Malaysian justice system, which is definitely not in the public interest,” said Trowell.
Trowell also criticised the A-G for not performing his duty.
“Not only may he institute and conduct proceedings for an offence, but he may also discontinue the criminal proceedings that he has instituted, and the court cannot compel him to institute or to go with any criminal proceedings that he has decided to discontinue.
“The general principle that the Attorney-General must, in performing his duty, act in the public interest applies with particular force to his powers under clause 3 of Article 145 of the Malaysian Federal Constitution,” he said.
Anwar, the 62-year-old PKR de facto leader, is currently facing sodomy charges for the second time in his life.
The former deputy prime minister is charged with sodomising Saiful at Unit 11-5-1 of the Desa Damansara Condominium in Jalan Setiakasih, Bukit Damansara here between 3.01pm and 4.30pm on June 26, 2008.
Anwar has denied the charge, describing it as “evil, frivolous lies by those in power” when the charge was read out to him. He is charged under section 377B of the Penal Code and can be sentenced to a maximum of 20 years’ jail and whipping upon conviction. The trial is taking place 18 months after Anwar was charged in court in August 2008.
He was charged with sodomy and corruption in 1998 after he was sacked from the Cabinet and was later convicted and jailed for both offences. He was freed in September 2004 and later resurrected his political career by winning back his Permatang Pauh parliamentary seat in a by-election in 2008, which had been held in the interim by his wife.
He had earlier led the opposition coalition, Pakatan Rakyat, to a historic sweep of five states and 82 parliamentary seats in Election 2008.
Recently, two former aides to Anwar revealed that they were coerced into signing statutory declarations to allegedly implicate Najib and his wife in the sodomy case.
The Federal Court has also denied Anwar access to statements made by the complainant after he claimed that there were inconsistencies between Saiful’s testimony and the sodomy charge frame against him.
Anwar’s lawyers believe that if the defence were given access to Saiful’s witness statements, it would affect the outcome of the entire trial.
The Malaysian Insider
- ► 2016 (663)
- ► 2015 (1295)
- ► 2014 (1559)
- ► 2013 (1399)
- ► 2012 (1780)
- ► 2011 (2602)
- Batu Sapi : Sambutan semakin hangat..
- Pemilihan PKR : Keputusan hari ketiga
- Pemilihan PKR : Keputusan dari Permatang Pauh
- Video : Ucapan Anwar di Batu Sapi (30 October)
- Dah 13 Tahun Terbakar Baru Umno-BN Mahu Ganti Ruma...
- Pemilihan PKR : Zaid Masih didepan..
- UMNO 'me mak bapak kan' harta negara
- Pemilihan PKR : Yeop menguasai Perak..
- Halau Melayu Secara Terancang? - Ini jawapan Guan ...
- Video : Ceramah Anwar di Batu Sapi
- RM5 juta bina masjid baru di Batu Sapi
- Pusingan Pertama Zaid dahului Azmin
- Pemandu bas korban tujuh Tiada Lesen Memandu
- Berita dan Gambar : Kunjungan TG Nik Aziz ke Hospi...
- Ku Li Khianat.
- Tujuh ahli Belia 4B dari Kedah maut
- Video :Ceramah Perdana DUN N45 Galas
- Zaid dahului Azmin..
- Bagaimana syarikat-syarikat menyalurkan wang kepad...
- Ansari Jatuh kedalam Laut lagi.....
- PERHATIAN!! PR dilarang berkempen di sini
- Siapa yang mahukan Lesen Judi kalau bukan UMNO!
- Zulkifli BOHONG!
- Kerana sokong PR, subsidi baja getah ditarik
- Video : Kita Tak Perlu Undi Cina dan India - Ketua...
- Tak Berapa Cerdik tu.. BODOH lah kan?
- Politeknik di Pekan dah 10 Tahun Tak Siap Lagi...
- Tuduhan liwat: Rektum Saiful ‘Kosong’
- Samseng UMNO, Ugut Petugas Wanita KEADILAN
- Video : Kempen PR di kawasan pengundi Cina DUN Gal...
- Tuduhan Liwat : Karpal tuntut dokumen 3 doktor HKL...
- PRK DUN Galas : Skrip Lama di Kitar Semula..
- Angka Korban di Indonesia semakin meningkat.
- Gambar : Setelah Tsunami meninggalkan Mentawai..
- Gambar : Setelah Merapi Meletus......
- Akhirnya Penjaga Gunung Merapi, Tewas Dimamah Laha...
- Kisah Saat-saat Akhir Sebelum Wartawan Vivanews.Co...
- 179 korban Tsunami, Gunung berapi Indonesia meletu...
- Video : Penamaan Calon Batu Sapi
- 'Hantu' mana curi wang zakat kita?
- Pelaburan di Perak 2009 merosot
- Hidup mati saya tetap bersama UMNO - Syed Sobri
- Penghargaan warga emas diteruskan
- Projek Mee Segera : Wifi percuma untuk penduduk Ka...
- Ibu cekik anak hingga mati
- Tsunami Mentawai : 112 maut, 502 masih hilang
- Belanja urus Server PERKESO RM30 Juta?
- Mak Bapak Sapalah ni?? Macam Beruk Mat Yeh!!
- Gambar sekitar Penamaan Calon Batu Sapi..
- Videoclip : Penamaan Calon DUN Galas
- Lagi gambar dari Pusat Penamaan calon DUN Galas..
- Gambar : Dari Pusat Penamaan Calon DUN Galas.
- PRK DUN Galas : Ku Li tak bersama pemimpin BN?
- PRK Batu Sapi : Menyaksikan pertandingan 3 penjuru...
- Cita-cita Anwar hanya impian - Zahrain
- PRK Batu Sapi : Pertandingan tiga penjuru
- PRK DUN Galas : Hanya calon BN, PAS kemuka kertas ...
- Penamaan calon dua pilihan raya kecil serentak har...
- Proses penamaan calon PRK Parlimen Batu Sapi bermu...
- Tuduhan Liwat : Karpal Tidak Sihat, Perbicaraan di...
- Videoclip : Ucapan TG Haji Hadi dan DSAI di Batu S...
- Videoclip : Ucapan DSAI pada "20 Tahun Kelantan Me...
- Muhyiddin, Janjimu Lebih Diperlukan Di Batu Sapi
- PRK Batu Sapi : Majlis Pencalonan BN dipulau..
- Ulama tak mahu campur politik - Harussani
- PRK Batu Sapi : 500 ahli PBS bantah pencalonan Dat...
- PRK DUN Galas : UMNO Gua Musang bertelingkah?
- Tuduhan Liwat : Ada laporan perubatan awal ?
- Janji tinggal Janji.. Penduduk Bandar Tasik Puteri...
- Kencing muka.. lafaz talak tiga
- Projek Mee Segera Untuk DUN Galas..
- Wan Azizah mahu Najib tarik balik kenyataan
- BN salah guna jentera kerajaan
- Parti utama selesai umum calon Galas, Batu Sapi
- Isteri Mendiang Edmund calon BN di Batu Sapi
- Pandangan TG Haji Hadi mengenai Budget Najib.
- Islamic Fashion Festival : Ulama Muda UMNO! Sila B...
- Islamic Fashion Show : Kenyataan balas kepada Ula...
- Ulama muda UMNO patut nasihat, bukan kipas
- Pelajar Mesir Kutuk Rosmah Hina Islam
- UMNO Gelisah bila Kedah tiada Rasuah..
- Jangan takut gertakan Najib
- Guna masjid daftar pengundi UMNO
- Ulama Muda Pertahan Rosmah
- Islamic Fashion Festival itu satu PENGHINAAN buat ...
- Hipokritnya Presiden UMNO ini..
- Mana dia ulama muda UMNO?
- Cadangan Menghalau Melayu dari Kg. Baru?
- Kontrak So-Sial : UMNO Telan Saham Melayu?
- Festival Busana Muslim : Rosmah juga dikecam oleh ...
- Festival Busana Muslim : Kejahilan Rosmah terus di...
- UMNO rosak kerana pemimpin syok sendiri..
- Negeri - negeri PR lebih baik dari negeri UMNO/BN....
- Dr Zulkefli calon PAS di Galas
- Memo Taubat Buat Rosmah
- Gambar-gambar 'Islamic Fashion' kebanggaan Rosmah ...
- Penyokong UMNO tumbuk pegawai kerajaan
- "Manifesto kita...," kata Mus.
- PR bantah sepanduk Umno di Parlimen
- Anwar’s trial should be abandoned - IPU report
- ▼ October (304)