Wong Choon Mei, Malaysia Chronicle
Big-name European politicians including French president Nicolas Sarkozy may soon hit the international headlines alongside Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak and his wife Rosmah Mansor - but for the wrong reasons!
Lawyers assisting Malaysian civil rights group SUARAM are convinced they have a strong case against arms-maker DCNS and an on-going police probe may soon dredge fresh dirt from France's already notorious weapons industry.
“I believe we are just scrapping the ice from the tip of an iceberg. The French lawyers are certain we have a strong case,” SUARAM director Cynthia Gabriel told Malaysia Chronicle.
“They are trying to pin down some French politicians, but there are 2 sets of governments involved. One is during the negotiations of the deal and the second is when the purchases were actually made. Both were done under the time of President Chirac. Sarkozy's role is still being investigated, but either way some big names are bound to surface.”
It will not be the first time for Sarkozy if his name crops up. He was implicated in Pakistan's 1994 purchase of three Agosta 90B submarines. A French court had found kickbacks in the campaign funds of his ex-boss Edouard Balladur - Chirac's predecessor. Balladur and Sarkozy, who was then his campaign manager and budget minister, have denied involvement, although in 2008, a top-secret DCNS memo was leaked to the public showing bribes had indeed been offered to Pakistan officials. If involved, the role of the French politicians would have been to help in negotiations for which they also would get a share of commission.
SUARAM was forced to file a complaint with the French authorities in Paris earlier this year, frustrated by the Malaysian government’s blackout of key details on the price tag for the two Scorpene submarines ordered from DCNS by Najib in 2002. The Najib administration has also refused to explain embarrassing discrepancies in the murder trial of a Mongolian woman believed to have acted as a go-between in the deal.
SUARAM is also working with Transparency International France to move a strong civil society campaign on such deals as they disadvantaged innocent taxpayers . It hopes the French authorities will be able to shed light on whether there was any corruption in the Malaysian acquisition.
Malaysia is not the first Asian country where DCNS with the help of some top French leaders have bribed their way to a deal. However, in Malaysia, the initiative to recover taxpayers’ money has come from an NGO and not the government, where as in Taiwan, India and Pakistan, the respective federal administrations are the prime movers.
Nonetheless, as in a similar case in Taiwan, the key to Malaysia’s purchase may hinge on a contractual clause that makes vendors liable to repay all bribes, plus associated interest and legal fees. Those familiar with international arms agreements believe this standard anti-corruption clause may be in the contracts governing the Scorpene sales to Malaysia, India and Pakistan.
So far, Najib has refused to disclose if such an anti-corruption clause exists in the deals. Even if the French authorities find sufficient grounds to take DCNS and their own leaders to court for corruption, at the Malaysian end, there is doubt that Najib will push for the recovery of the huge amounts lost to Malaysian taxpayers.
“We have to move a step at a time. The French investigations are ongoing and the probe could take another 2 to 3 months. The DCNS office being raided pertaining specifically to the Malaysian case was considered unusual by Parisian standards and has raised the eyebrows of many French media and corruption watchdogs. And that is why we had quite a bit of media attention when we were there,” said Cynthia.
As defense minister in 2002, Najib had sanctioned the Scorpenes purchase. Even at that time, his proposal worried financial analysts because of the added burden to an already soaring national debt. Opposition politicians also questioned the suitability of the subs for patrolling the country’s shallow-watered coast line.
But it was not until after 2006, after news broke that a beautiful Mongolian translator had been murdered in Malaysia and her body blown up with C4 explosives that the scandal really unraveled. Highly embarrassing details emerged that until now the Najib administration has refused to acknowledge or to probe.
These include high-level government tampering of immigration records to hide the entry of the 28-year old Altantuya Shaariibuu into Malaysia, the use of restricted military-grade explosives in her killing, the involvement of Najib's special aides Musa Safri and Nasir Safar, and the awarding of a side-deal worth 114 million euros to an obscure firm controlled by his friend Razak Baginda.
A private eye P Balasubramaniam hired by Baginda to keep Altantuya from bothering him has alleged she was trying to collect her US$500,000 share of the commission for the Scorpenes purchase. Bala also linked the PM, his wife Rosmah and Baginda to her murder and the submarines.
Two former special bodyguards of Malaysia's first couple have been found guilty and sentenced to hang for murdering Altantuya, but they only met her on the night of her death and two key questions were shunned by the judge in their trial – what was their motive and was there someone who ordered them to kill her?
Please continue yours reading HERE
- ► 2015 (1296)
- ► 2014 (1559)
- ► 2013 (1399)
- ► 2012 (1781)
- ► 2011 (2602)
- Brahim Ali!! Hang jangan berlagakla...
- Kesian kat Zahrain.... dah tak ada isu dah...
- UMNO Putera keringkan wang Felda ?
- Umno-BN dalangi cubaan guling MB Selangor?
- Ini Semua Raja Petra Punya Pasallah!!
- Umno takut kuasa undi anak muda
- Big-name French politicians may be involved in M's...
- Penyelewengan Tanah oleh UMNO Kota Raja akan di Bo...
- Kenapa kerusi Tian Chua tidak lucut
- Scandal PKFZ : Apa Hal Kerajaan kena bayar RM700Ju...
- Tragedi Natrah : Dimana UMNO ketika itu?
- Muzakarah Natrah: Perpecahan penganut Islam masala...
- Kami Tak Kow Tow.. Kau Tau?
- 40 Ulama : Lagi menafikan menyertai UMNO..
- Khir Toyo rupanya... kusangkakan Beruk...
- Bertasbih, tapi menghalalkan yang haram
- PKR atau UMNO yang bergolak ni??
- Siapa Lantik Khir Toyo sebagai Pemikir untuk PKR n...
- Torpedo Kita Bayar 36.465 Juta Euro lebih Tinggi, ...
- Mahkamah arah konsesi air Syabas, laporan audit di...
- Bookie Haram biayai kempen menentang lesen Judi?
- 4 ADUN PKR Selangor Keluar Parti ?
- Torpedo Kita Lebih Mahal Dari Harga Pasaran? Biasa...
- Khir Toyo Tak Puas hati Khalid masih MB Selangor.
- Azmin bakal mengganti Khalid lagi?
- Mahasiswa Jangan Jadi Ulama Dunia - TG Nik Aziz
- Ulama : UMNO BOHONG lagi!!
- Pensyarah BERPOLITIK, tak salah pulak dah!
- Judi kesukaan Pemimpin BN, bukannya amalan Masyara...
- ‘Saya tidak hebat dalam politik’ - MB Selangor
- PKR S'gor dirombak, Azmin ganti Khalid sebagai Pen...
- Saman : Taktik BN mahu gempar PKR
- Lesen Judi : Najib bersandiwara lagi?
- Ulama? : Yang berjumpa Najib tu bukan semuanya mas...
- "Saya Mahu elak di LIWAT"
- Lesen Judi Batal?.. Baguslah.. tapi kenapa diumum ...
- Jambatan Ganti Tambak Johor : Takut gelaran ditar...
- Alahai.. menggigit jarilah UMNO buat masa ini..
- ULAMAkah mereka itu?
- 40 ulama? muda sertai Umno tanpa Asri
- Adakah Ahmad Maslan itu benar-benar bodoh?
- Felda hilang RM8 bilion... bukannya RM2.7 bilion
- Brahim Ali kata Khairy STUPID, Khairy pula kata Br...
- 'Saya mempertikai Timbalan Menteri, bukan memusuhi...
- Isu Bantahan 15 Ahli Parlimen KEADILAN Tidak Benar...
- Doktrin keras Asri ‘pengaruhi’ aktiviti pelampau -...
- Khairy is 'STUPID'
- Videoclip : Pendedahan mengenai Felda.
- Zunar boleh memudaratkan ketenteraman awam.
- Documentary Series On Bakun (Banned by RTM)
- Dr Asri tak jadi masuk UMNO esok
- Tidak semua maklumat berkaitan Dr Asri benar
- Dont Cover-up these RM5.4 million False Claim Scan...
- Pemuda UMNO Jual Bangsa - Brahim Ali
- Saya hanya sebut nama Dr Asri saja - Zamihan
- Depa kata 10 anggota JI yang ditahan itu nak letup...
- Najib kata Kerajaan perhabis RM37.7 juta di Sibu
- Tak Benar Tanggapan Kononnya UMNO Cuba Pikat Ulama...
- Kementerian pelajaran belanja lebih rm16 bilion hi...
- "BN Bohong" dakwa Dr Asri dan Dr Juanda
- BN Sarawak Dijangka Bermesyuarat Hujung Minggu Ini...
- Berjudilah…..ke arah kesejahteraan hidup!
- UMNO Pilihan Selamat Buat Dr. Asri?
- Ulama, pensyarah antara 50 ikut Asri sertai Umno?
- Najib Benarkan Rothschild Bank (Milik Yahudi) bert...
- Hah!! Pemimpin UMNO Buta Perut?
- Jambatan Kedua Pulau Pinang : Fakta yang disembuny...
- Satim Diman ditawarkan Jutaan Ringgit untuk menyer...
- Rombakan PKR mampu tarik lebih pengundi Melayu
- Guan Eng persoal Khazanah urus dana tapak warisan....
- Khir Toyo nafi Satim Diman letak jawatan
- Pemuda UMNO dan Khairy.. Apa dah jadi?
- Mohamed Satim nak keluar UMNO ?
- Bukan kerana Rosmah Penerbit NTV7 Berhenti?
- 100Juta Euro untuk melatih 500 Crew Scorpene?
- Lagi Syarikat Israel beroperasi di Malaysia!!
- Kaji Semula DEB: Melayu Berkepentingan Sahaja yang...
- Dulu UMNO/BN letak tunggul bertandingpun boleh men...
- MCA tidak setaraf dengan UMNO! - pemimpin UMNO
- Videoclip : BN Takut PRK Parlimen Batu - Khalid Sa...
- Hang Tunggu sat.. Dato Zahrain..
- Parlimen Batu : Hakim Tak Mahu Pilihanraya Kecil l...
- Dr. Asri nak Sertai UMNO?.. Baguslah tu..
- Lesen Judi : Tidak Malukah Nazri Aziz kepada Koh T...
- Penjara Pudu berusia 120 tahun diroboh esok
- Asri sertai Umno Jumaat ini?
- Ini Sebenarnya yang dibimbangi Mahathir.. bukannya...
- PKR! Melangkah biarlah kehadapan..
- Adakah “ Ini “ Adalah Kejayaan Terbesar Mahathir ?...
- Kawan-kawan!! Hishamuddin dah Istihar Perang terha...
- Eh! Speaker berkuasa pulak?
- Parlimen Batu : UMNO mula menunjukkan taringnya..
- The way forward for PKR
- Pilihan Raya Kecil Parlimen Batu?
- Tanpa seurat benang aku dilahirkan, tanpa seurat b...
- Mahathir semakin takut UMNO kehilangan kuasa..
- Kenapa syarikat Felda ditutup selepas Najib ambil ...
- Si Kecil.. Makhluk yang sedap dipeluk - Najib
- Status Tian Chua : Hari Isnin kita tahu...
- Jika saya melompat dia akan bakar diri - Kesavan
- ▼ June (238)