I would have written about this earlier had I not been away.
I read with total disbelief about the totally unprovoked, unnecessary and unprofessional killing of a 14-year-old boy by the police in the early hours of the April 26, 2010.
The police as usual, with its standard apathetic “statement” to the media, said:
“Seorang yang disyaki penyamun ditembak polis awal pagi di Seksyen 11 Shah Alam… sebilah parang dijumpai di dalam kereta disyaki digunakan sebagai senjata untuk menyamun… suspek kedua berjaya melepaskan diri..”
(A person who was a suspected robber was shot by the police early this morning at section 11 Shah Alam .... a machete was found in the car which was suspected as the weapon used in robbery .... a second suspect successfully ran away ...” ) — translated by me.
YB Khalid Samad has a clear account of the incident on his blog.
I am aghast at the statement issued by the police. It is insensitive, irresponsible and in fact laced with so much bad intention.
On what ground and evidence did the police conclude that the 14-year-old victim was a “suspected robber”?
Read the account at YB Khalid Samad’s blog. Read also the police report lodged by the “second suspect” who had apparently successfully ran away.
The police were clearly chasing the car driven by the victim for some traffic offences. That was all. Was there a necessity to shoot the driver? Can’t 2 patrol cars overtake a Proton Iswara and stop them? What kind of drivers were the police, so much so that they have to resort to shooting the driver to stop a Proton Iswara driven by a 14-year-old?
And to repeat my first question, what made the police to conclude that the 14-year-old boy was a suspected robber and his passenger friend a “second suspect”?
The “parang” story was obviously an attempt at justifying the killing. So, if someone carried a parang, he could justifiably be shot to death is it? Even on that assumption, how did the police see the parang in the boot before shooting the 14-year-old boy?
As could be seen from the “second suspect’s” police report, he had wanted to surrender. But he was kicked and stepped on by the policemen. He then ran away.
This kicking culture among the police is well known. That was what happened to Norizan Salleh, the woman who was shot not once, twice or thrice, but a good FIVE times by the police but fortunately lives on to tell the tale. She was also stepped on and kicked after being shot five times.
In the incident here, was there a necessity to kick the boy? Can’t the police see that he was just a terrified boy? The boy was coming out from the driver’s side which means he had to move the body of his 14-year-old friend who was then dead. Wasn’t it a priority to check what had happened to the victim who was then lying dead rather than to kick the other boy?
And when he ran away, was he chased? Was there any attempt to arrest the “second suspect”? Or are the police trying to imply that 3-4 adult policemen could not chase and apprehend the “second suspect”, who also happened to be a boy?
They drove a patrol car and could not overtake an Iswara. Then they also could not chase and apprehend a boy?
Why didn’t they just shoot the “second suspect” then? After all he, like the victim, was a suspected robber, no? Why the double standard? Just shoot him, like what they did to the victim. After all, there was a “parang” in the car. And the “parang” was suspected to have been used in robberies.
The response from the police later left me numbed. The 4 officers had now been assigned to desk duties.
Why were they not suspended? The case has been classified as a murder case, according to the police themselves. And that was done to show how serious the police are about the case.
So, now, we have 4 police officers, who are being investigated in a murder case, who are still carrying weapons and a police identity card. What if they use their position as such to intimidate the “second suspect”, who is just a boy? How?
Sometimes I wonder where some of us have retired their brains to. Junksville?
The response from the Home Minister is almost standard. We are sorry. We will investigate this fully and transparently. We will have a special task force to do this. And rest assured the task force will be independent and there will be no interference. Blah, blah, blah... (Kesha’s song is running in my head now!).
The thing is this. Let us all not forget that this has happened far too many times for our comfort. Kugan has died. After Kugan, there was another case of death in the cell. Norizan was shot. Now Aminulrasyid. Every now and then, we read or hear news about the police opening fire and “killing 6 suspected robbers/gang members/whatever”.
I read somewhere yesterday that the Indonesian government is questioning the killing of three of their citizens recently.
We can have this and that task farce, eh, sorry, task force. We can have a 40,000 word report about this and that incidents. Nothing is going to change the police and their propensity for pulling the trigger.
The rules and regulations pertaining to the discharge of fire arms by the police must be tighten and made public.
And there must be tangible effort to restore public confidence in our police force.
The establishment of the Independent Police Complaints and Misconduct Commission (IPCMC), as recommended by a Royal Commission, would be a good starting point.
I wonder why the Home Minister and the government so reluctant in establishing the IPCMC. After all, it wasn’t some Tom, Dick or Kamal who had suggested its establishment. It was recommended by a Royal Commission established by the government itself!
I hope Aminurasyid did not die in vain.
Al-Fatihah to him. And my deepest condolence to his parents, family members and friends.
- ► 2017 (218)
- ► 2016 (947)
- ► 2015 (1295)
- ► 2014 (1559)
- ► 2013 (1399)
- ► 2012 (1780)
- ► 2011 (2602)
- SALUT PADA PEJUANG – SEJARAH HULU SELANGOR ( Bahag...
- Pengundi tak puas hati buat laporan polis
- Majoriti BN 1,725 Undi Diilhamkan Oleh Pihak SPR S...
- MCA didesak keluar dari BN.
- ALLAH HU AKHBAR!! Telaga Minyak pun Hilang?
- Scandal KD Altantuya bakal terdedah (Video Inside)...
- Hulu Selangor membuktikan Jentera Pilihanraya PKR ...
- PRK Sibu : 3000 Undi Pos untuk BN.
- Pak Lah melepaskan 2 Telaga Minyak kepada Brunei
- A murder by the police?
- BN Menang kerana PERKASA - Tun Mahadet
- Kawan-kawan!! Musa Hassan dah Merajuk ooiii!!!
- Memandu Tanpa Lesen, bukan Mati hukumannya - Wee K...
- PKR!! Salahkan diri sendiri la...
- IBU Menangis angkara Zionis..
- Ezam sebagai Senator, Kemana Khairy selepas ini?
- Kes Aminulrashid : Kerajaan perlu Minta Maaf
- Kes Aminulrashid : Kezaliman begini hanya di Israe...
- Kes Aminulrashid : Cerita dari Khalid Samad
- Adun Kubang Rotan tak perlu mohon ampun - Ustaz Az...
- Satu lagi campur tangan BN dalam kebebasan media T...
- Kematian Aminulrasyid satu pembunuhan
- KD Altantuya : Dia mai dah!!
- Pengundi Cina peduli apa…
- Biar Khir mabuk dengan kemenangan Hulu Selangor
- P212 : Ho Leng (DAP) menentang Robert Lau (BN)
- MCA telah ditolak sebelum PERKASA ujud - Brahim Al...
- Tembak Juvana : Satu Berita Tiga Cerita..
- Khir Toyo pula menggesa Kerajaan mengkaji dasar te...
- MCA : BN Perlu Jauhi PERKASA!
- PRK Hulu Selangor, Satu Perspektif Perjuangan - TG...
- P212 : BN Bimbang ditolak Cina di Sibu
- Zaid rekod kelebihan undi 6 ganda di DUN KKB
- P212 : Sibu Pasti lebih sengit!
- They Voted for BN because of RM50,000
- Kenapa majoriti 1725 saja?
- Dato Zaid sepatutnya kalah lebih 5000 undi.
- Video : Aksi Lucah penyokong UMNO/BN
- Kemenangan yang tak perlu dibanggakan
- Eh.. Sejak bila Brahim Ali menjadi Ahli Parlimen U...
- Zaid Akan Bantah Keputusan Pilihanraya Hulu Selang...
- THANKS FOR ALL - Dari DS Anwar Ibrahim
- Tak padan, BN belanja puluhan juta untuk 1700 undi...
- Kemenangan BN , MCA akan menjadi Dinosur politik
- PRK Hulu Selangor hampir sama dengan PRK Ijok.
- Semalam di Hulu Selangor..
- BN Menang tapi majoriti kecil banding sasaran 6,00...
- Bila Kami Mati?? - 3 ADUN Selangor
- Gambar Sekitar Ceramah Grand Finale Part 2
- Gambar sekitar Ceramah Grand Finale...
- P094 : Tahniah UMNO/BN! Pihak anda menang kali ini...
- BN Akan Menang 6000 Majoriti - Muhyiddin
- Aduan polis Orang Asli 'dihalang' mengundi
- UNDI ZAID!! Orang Kelantan tahu halal haram..
- UMNO dan Rasuah Lemahkan Jati Diri Rakyat Malaysia...
- P094 : Peneroka!! Bangkit! Jangan ditipu sampai Ma...
- Memang Kamalanathan bukan dari Kota Bharu.. tapi S...
- Survey terbaru : Pakatan 51.7 peratus, BN 48.3 per...
- ‘Saya bukan rasis, saya rakyat Malaysia yang rasis...
- TG Nik Aziz: Serangan peribadi 'kerja bodoh' (Vide...
- Gangguan INTERNET pada hari Sabtu dan Ahad ini..
- Wartawan diherdik di bilik gerakan BN: "Kamu Cina,...
- P094 : Didalam Terang, Najib Merasuah..
- Selain Altantuaya.. Teoh Beng Hock pun ditakuti ju...
- P094 : Chegu Bard ditahan Polis.
- P094 : UNDILAH calon PR Zaid Ibrahim - Nik Aziz
- P094 : UMNO nak tunjuk Alim di Hulu Selangor
- P094 : AMK didakwa membawa Senjata Bahaya dan Letu...
- Katak Perak Bebas tuduhan Rasuah..
- Kamalanathan, Pengundi dari Sungai Siput.. tempat ...
- P094 : Gambar bukti Sokongan kepada BN semakin men...
- After Submarine here comes Overpriced Armoured Pe...
- Bantah Campurtangan Rosmah, Penerbit NTV7 Letak Ja...
- P094 : Cium Tangan itu Biasa... Berbohong itu yang...
- Meskipun diserang tubi, pengundi lihat Zaid wibawa...
- Berita gembira buat generasi kedua Felda Sungai Bu...
- P094 : UMNO Penyangak di Hulu Selangor..
- P094 : Resmi Pembangkang Selangor..
- Senarai Tokoh UMNO yang menjadi Towkey Judi
- P094 : Najib di Reject Zaid sebenarnya..
- P094 : Zaid Ibrahim bertanding, Anwar menjadi mang...
- P094 : Kamalanathan, Pembohong yang terus Berbohon...
- Kuburkan BN!! Pendedahan oleh Khir Toyo, siapa men...
- P094 : Muhyiddin gagal mengotakan janjinya..
- Zambry kini dipijak 3 Ekor Katak..
- Kamalanathan True Color...
- P094 : Tolak 'tuah' jika tolak Zaid - Mat Sabu
- P094 : 10 Orang hadir Ceramah PR di Bukit Sentosa ...
- P094 : Berapa ramai dalam UMNO bersih?
- P094 : Bertahun-tahun sokong BN, bertahun-tahun di...
- P094 : Kempen Orang UMNO
- P094 : Katak Betina tu bukan Timbalan Ketua Wanita...
- P094 : Felda Sungai Buaya, mimpi ngeri buat UMNO!
- P094 : Felda bebankan Peneroka dengan Hutang sampa...
- P094 : Mustafa Ali.. anda silap..
- Wanita PKR Perak menyertai keluarga Besar BN..
- P094 : Saya bukan Kaki Judi..
- 15 Fakta Konspirasi Malaysia Israel
- P094 : Selepas arak, Zaid dituduh 'kaki judi' pula...
- Keldai Kehabisan Akal..
- ▼ April (307)