They said another reason the Chinese community was over an unfulfilled promise. Palanivel had promised in 2007 to allocate funds to Sze Yah Kong Temple but did not keep to his word, and when he was asked about this in 2008 before the general elections, he allegedly said that he would give the temple the money if they voted for him.
Chinese angry over a boast that Palanivel denies
By Yow Hong Chieh
HULU SELANGOR, April 12 — Some in the Chinese community here are adamant they will not vote for Datuk G. Palanivel if he contests the April 25 by-election, over an alleged boast that he did not need their votes to win the 2004 general election with a 14,000 majority.
Their threat is a cause of concern for the Barisan Nasional (BN) federal government, which will name its candidate on Thursday to win back the seat that the MIC deputy president lost in Election 2008 by a slim 198 votes.
“No sensible person will utter those words especially during an election time,” Palanivel told The Malaysian Insider by text message last night.
The Selangor and Hulu Selangor MIC chief remains the sole party pick for the by-election but speculation is strong that his protege, MIC Youth deputy chief V. Mugilan or party information chief P. Kamalanathan are also being considered.
Of the three, Mugilan is said to have the brightest chance of being made the BN candidate although party president Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu believes Palanivel can regain Hulu Selangor which he held for four terms from 1990.
“2004 was tough election because I was challenged by Ustaz Ismail Kamus, a PAS stalwart. The Chinese community supported very well, so much so that I even won the peti undi box of Batang Kali Chinese New Village. The first win for Parliament since 1959.
“That year Chinese voters strongly supported me. If that allegation was true they would not have supported me. Every time an election comes these are the allegations that will be hurled,” the 61-year-old politician said.
BN won handsomely in the 2004 general election with a 91 per cent mandate, the first held 22 years with Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi at the helm of the coalition instead of long-serving prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
But the coalition lost badly in Election 2008, losing four states and its customary two-thirds parliamentary majority which was blamed on unfulfilled promises to the electorate.
Palanivel pointed out he even heard rumours quoting him as saying he did not want Indian votes, who form a substantial 19.3 per cent of the 64,500 electorate in Hulu Selangor.
“After winning or before winning I am not the type to tell I don’t want votes from any community. They will always be someone to start these rumours. I cannot be the source of these rumours,” he stressed.
“In fact, after winning the vote box of Batang Kali New Village in 2004, I held a function to thank the Chinese votes for the historic win,” Palanivel added.
But several Chinese voters told The Malaysian Insider they had heard stories of Palanivel’s boast but were unable to determine when and where it was made.
All, however, believe that the journalist-turned-politician did say something to that effect sometime in 2004 after the year’s general elections.
“When Palanivel retained the seat by 14,483 votes in 2004, he boasted that he didn’t have to depend on Chinese voters to win,” a pensioner who called himself Koh told The Malaysian Insider.
Batang Kali resident Tan Chee Heng, 40, who owns a motorcycle shop, had also heard the same tale. He said, because of this, “Orang Cina cukup benci dia.” (The Chinese really hate him.)
A former BN component party member who did not want to be identified said he, too, had gotten wind of the same story. “I do not know when but he did mention something like that.”
He said another reason the Chinese community was over an unfulfilled promise. Palanivel had promised in 2007 to allocate funds to Sze Yah Kong Temple but did not keep to his word, and when he was asked about this in 2008 before the general elections, he allegedly said that he would give the temple the money if they voted for him.
An MIC member who also declined to be named said he was present when Palanivel made his boast, although not in the way the Chinese perceive it to have been.
He said Palanivel, speaking at Ampang Pecah in 2004 after successfully defending his seat, had told residents there he only needed Felda votes to win.
Palanivel apparently said this when chastised by the residents there for being unresponsive to their requests outside of election period.
The local community had called him there to survey damage done to their homes by repeated flooding.
The MIC member ventured that this incident perhaps gave rise to the idea among the Chinese community that Palanivel had boasted about not needing their backing, as it was implied in his statement that he did not need to depend on any minority voters.
The Hulu Selangor seat fell vacant following PKR MP Datuk Dr Zainal Abidin Ahmad’s death last March 25.
There are 64,500 registered voters in Hulu Selangor, with 63,701 regular voters and 799 postal voters. Malays make up the majority of the total with 34,020 voters (52.7 per cent,) followed by Chinese with 16,964 voters (26.3 per cent) and Indians at 12,453 voters (19.3 per cent).
The Malaysian Insider
Monday, April 12, 2010
- ► 2017 (210)
- ► 2016 (947)
- ► 2015 (1295)
- ► 2014 (1559)
- ► 2013 (1399)
- ► 2012 (1780)
- ► 2011 (2602)
- SALUT PADA PEJUANG – SEJARAH HULU SELANGOR ( Bahag...
- Pengundi tak puas hati buat laporan polis
- Majoriti BN 1,725 Undi Diilhamkan Oleh Pihak SPR S...
- MCA didesak keluar dari BN.
- ALLAH HU AKHBAR!! Telaga Minyak pun Hilang?
- Scandal KD Altantuya bakal terdedah (Video Inside)...
- Hulu Selangor membuktikan Jentera Pilihanraya PKR ...
- PRK Sibu : 3000 Undi Pos untuk BN.
- Pak Lah melepaskan 2 Telaga Minyak kepada Brunei
- A murder by the police?
- BN Menang kerana PERKASA - Tun Mahadet
- Kawan-kawan!! Musa Hassan dah Merajuk ooiii!!!
- Memandu Tanpa Lesen, bukan Mati hukumannya - Wee K...
- PKR!! Salahkan diri sendiri la...
- IBU Menangis angkara Zionis..
- Ezam sebagai Senator, Kemana Khairy selepas ini?
- Kes Aminulrashid : Kerajaan perlu Minta Maaf
- Kes Aminulrashid : Kezaliman begini hanya di Israe...
- Kes Aminulrashid : Cerita dari Khalid Samad
- Adun Kubang Rotan tak perlu mohon ampun - Ustaz Az...
- Satu lagi campur tangan BN dalam kebebasan media T...
- Kematian Aminulrasyid satu pembunuhan
- KD Altantuya : Dia mai dah!!
- Pengundi Cina peduli apa…
- Biar Khir mabuk dengan kemenangan Hulu Selangor
- P212 : Ho Leng (DAP) menentang Robert Lau (BN)
- MCA telah ditolak sebelum PERKASA ujud - Brahim Al...
- Tembak Juvana : Satu Berita Tiga Cerita..
- Khir Toyo pula menggesa Kerajaan mengkaji dasar te...
- MCA : BN Perlu Jauhi PERKASA!
- PRK Hulu Selangor, Satu Perspektif Perjuangan - TG...
- P212 : BN Bimbang ditolak Cina di Sibu
- Zaid rekod kelebihan undi 6 ganda di DUN KKB
- P212 : Sibu Pasti lebih sengit!
- They Voted for BN because of RM50,000
- Kenapa majoriti 1725 saja?
- Dato Zaid sepatutnya kalah lebih 5000 undi.
- Video : Aksi Lucah penyokong UMNO/BN
- Kemenangan yang tak perlu dibanggakan
- Eh.. Sejak bila Brahim Ali menjadi Ahli Parlimen U...
- Zaid Akan Bantah Keputusan Pilihanraya Hulu Selang...
- THANKS FOR ALL - Dari DS Anwar Ibrahim
- Tak padan, BN belanja puluhan juta untuk 1700 undi...
- Kemenangan BN , MCA akan menjadi Dinosur politik
- PRK Hulu Selangor hampir sama dengan PRK Ijok.
- Semalam di Hulu Selangor..
- BN Menang tapi majoriti kecil banding sasaran 6,00...
- Bila Kami Mati?? - 3 ADUN Selangor
- Gambar Sekitar Ceramah Grand Finale Part 2
- Gambar sekitar Ceramah Grand Finale...
- P094 : Tahniah UMNO/BN! Pihak anda menang kali ini...
- BN Akan Menang 6000 Majoriti - Muhyiddin
- Aduan polis Orang Asli 'dihalang' mengundi
- UNDI ZAID!! Orang Kelantan tahu halal haram..
- UMNO dan Rasuah Lemahkan Jati Diri Rakyat Malaysia...
- P094 : Peneroka!! Bangkit! Jangan ditipu sampai Ma...
- Memang Kamalanathan bukan dari Kota Bharu.. tapi S...
- Survey terbaru : Pakatan 51.7 peratus, BN 48.3 per...
- ‘Saya bukan rasis, saya rakyat Malaysia yang rasis...
- TG Nik Aziz: Serangan peribadi 'kerja bodoh' (Vide...
- Gangguan INTERNET pada hari Sabtu dan Ahad ini..
- Wartawan diherdik di bilik gerakan BN: "Kamu Cina,...
- P094 : Didalam Terang, Najib Merasuah..
- Selain Altantuaya.. Teoh Beng Hock pun ditakuti ju...
- P094 : Chegu Bard ditahan Polis.
- P094 : UNDILAH calon PR Zaid Ibrahim - Nik Aziz
- P094 : UMNO nak tunjuk Alim di Hulu Selangor
- P094 : AMK didakwa membawa Senjata Bahaya dan Letu...
- Katak Perak Bebas tuduhan Rasuah..
- Kamalanathan, Pengundi dari Sungai Siput.. tempat ...
- P094 : Gambar bukti Sokongan kepada BN semakin men...
- After Submarine here comes Overpriced Armoured Pe...
- Bantah Campurtangan Rosmah, Penerbit NTV7 Letak Ja...
- P094 : Cium Tangan itu Biasa... Berbohong itu yang...
- Meskipun diserang tubi, pengundi lihat Zaid wibawa...
- Berita gembira buat generasi kedua Felda Sungai Bu...
- P094 : UMNO Penyangak di Hulu Selangor..
- P094 : Resmi Pembangkang Selangor..
- Senarai Tokoh UMNO yang menjadi Towkey Judi
- P094 : Najib di Reject Zaid sebenarnya..
- P094 : Zaid Ibrahim bertanding, Anwar menjadi mang...
- P094 : Kamalanathan, Pembohong yang terus Berbohon...
- Kuburkan BN!! Pendedahan oleh Khir Toyo, siapa men...
- P094 : Muhyiddin gagal mengotakan janjinya..
- Zambry kini dipijak 3 Ekor Katak..
- Kamalanathan True Color...
- P094 : Tolak 'tuah' jika tolak Zaid - Mat Sabu
- P094 : 10 Orang hadir Ceramah PR di Bukit Sentosa ...
- P094 : Berapa ramai dalam UMNO bersih?
- P094 : Bertahun-tahun sokong BN, bertahun-tahun di...
- P094 : Kempen Orang UMNO
- P094 : Katak Betina tu bukan Timbalan Ketua Wanita...
- P094 : Felda Sungai Buaya, mimpi ngeri buat UMNO!
- P094 : Felda bebankan Peneroka dengan Hutang sampa...
- P094 : Mustafa Ali.. anda silap..
- Wanita PKR Perak menyertai keluarga Besar BN..
- P094 : Saya bukan Kaki Judi..
- 15 Fakta Konspirasi Malaysia Israel
- P094 : Selepas arak, Zaid dituduh 'kaki judi' pula...
- Keldai Kehabisan Akal..
- ▼ April (307)