We cannot let them win. We cannot let hopelessness and despair triumph over justice and truth. We cannot succumb to helplessness and self-pity. And most importantly, we cannot self-destruct.
It is convenient and most tempting to raise a finger and point out PKR as the weak link in the PR chain, to blame all that is happening today on Anwar Ibrahim. After all they clung on stubbornly to their allocated seats and placed postmen and washouts to contest instead of giving way to PAS’ or DAP’s more qualified, loyal candidates.
But in more ways than one, it was also PKR and its leader Anwar Ibrahim that has raised Pakatan to the level it is now. PKR helped smooth things out between conservative DAP and hardline PAS in the shaky first few weeks, and subsequently PKR played the role as a stabilizing force in Pakatan, grounding the ideals of both its partners, and allowing PAS and DAP to cement their ties to the current warm levels.
It was the world’s interest in Anwar Ibrahim’s brand of moderate Islam that pressured the government into attempting to out-Islamise Pakatan’s PAS, and in the process, alienate itself from half the Malaysian electorate.
Anwar’s profile in the international community, and his wide coverage in WSJ, CNN and IHT often has Wisma Putra scrambling to etch some cover story and often they are forced to ‘summon’ diplomats to ‘explain’ issues to them.When Anwar spoke, the world paid attention. And so did Malaysians.
This newfound stability, mutual respect and trust, turned Pakatan from an uneasy alliance to a serious political force to be reckoned with. And eventually, Barisan noticed.
Attempt after attempt was made to destabilize the alliance, starting with attacking individual Selangor’s Excos and MB, the coup d’etat in Perak,the crossover of a Kedah assemblyman, the anti-Islamic allegations against Penang’s state leadership, the oil royalty fiasco in Kelantan. Every trick in the book was used, lies, damned lies and statistics were thrown around, misleadingly named NGOs and ‘NGO Alliances’ were used, and the mainstream media was manipulated, all to break up this one credible threat that existed against Barisan.
When they realized going after the states did not work, individuals were lured, to defect, and for the first time in Malaysian political history, we heard the term ‘BN-friendly Independent’. And this last few weeks, the BN-controlled media screamed headlines and painted a bleak, hopeless picture of Pakatan, depicting it as a fragile alliance falling apart, culminating in the multiple defections from PKR.
In doing this, they hope to break the only thing that keeps Pakatan together, its spirit. It was this spirit that had PAS, PKR and DAP back each other at the risk of each losing support from their traditional bases.
It was this spirit that captured the imagination of the rakyat, brought back hope to a seemingly hopeless nation, renewed the strength of worn out social activists, and put the fight back in a generation that forgot how to struggle. And that is the spirit they want to kill. But this spirit must not die. It must live, spread and burn brighter.
In their arrogance, the defectors spoke as if their voice echoed the views of their constituents. In their haughtiness, they spoke as though the party won because of them, and not the other way around. They spoke of betrayal, when in truth; it was the people that were betrayed.
They spoke of loyalties, when it was peddled cheaply to the highest bidder. Eventually, the people will judge them. Eventually, their Creator will judge them. I am sure they have plenty to talk about, especially over their liberal use of His name.
Pakatan is not the only one beset with problems.Barisan has a party with two people claiming to be president.They have a party where two people wanting to be deputy president. They have a party where the party does not know what to do with the president. They have a party where a disputed president of another party has to step in to solve a dispute involving another two disputing presidents!And most of the parties don'd know what to do with themselves.And you thought DAP and PAS had problems?
As for the rest of us, we would do well and remember and remind each other all the things that happened in the last two years. Rolling cow heads, racially charged demonstrations, burning churches and suraus, deaths in custody, our dead ancestors being labeled as prostitutes and beggars, nonchalant crossing of political divides like it’s a paddy field, fighter jets that don’t fly and submarines that cannot dive, mysterious disappearances of individuals worthy of the X Files, rising taxes and cost of living and lower income and spending ability. We would do well to remember all this.
We would do well to never forget. And we would do well; to never let them win again.
Dust off the flags and banners my friends. It's not over yet.
By Emmanuel Joseph
- ► 2017 (210)
- ► 2016 (947)
- ► 2015 (1295)
- ► 2014 (1559)
- ► 2013 (1399)
- ► 2012 (1780)
- ► 2011 (2602)
- Proksi Najib, Muhyiddin bertarung di Sabah
- Mengapa Najib umum MEB di luar Parlimen?
- Berita Palsu 700 Ahli PKR Keluar Parti
- P094 : MIC Menyinga, UMNO Menikus...
- Selamatkan Malaysia dari Regim Zionis!
- RM100 : Dato Azhar kalau mahu isi borang, usah per...
- P094 : Khir Toyo ni, dengki kah?
- ROKOK mengandungi Hemoglobin BABI?
- APCO tidak bekerja dengan Yahudi?
- UMNO Penang Kini Ketandusan Pemimpin..
- Video dan Transkrip ucapan DSAI di Parlimen mengen...
- Patutlah Khairy bermatian mempertahankan APCO....
- P094 : Dei!! Siapa kata pengundi tolak MIC? - Semi...
- P094 : UMNO akan Mengorbankan MIC?
- Apco Ada Wakil Di Pejabat Perdana Menteri
- Disebalik Tirai APCO dan Najib...
- PERKASA yang PERASAN..
- Mak Aih!! Ramainya Ahli PKR keluar Parti!
- P094 : Hulu Selangor hak MIC, UMNO jangan terhegeh...
- Perak dah jadi Negeri Polis hari ini..
- Gambar : Alahai Terengganu.. Runtuh lagi..
- P094 : Muhyidin tolak Muhamad Taib sebagai calon B...
- P094 : Samy Vellu harus angkat bendera putih...
- AJK UMNO Bahagian Tanah Merah ditangkap khalwat
- Antara Kejahatan dan Kebaikan Ibrahim Ali Kepada A...
- Siapa sapu RM52 Billion Saham untuk Bumiputra?
- Exco UMNO Bukit Bendera letak jawatan beramai-rama...
- TG Nik Aziz kekal mursyidul am lima tahun lagi
- Kami tak Mahu MIC! - Ahli UMNO Hulu Selangor.
- Tajol Rosli iktiraf Sivakumar sebagai Speaker yang...
- UMNO! Jangan cakap soal Melayu kalau tak faham ert...
- Umno-BN Belum Sedar Diri Selepas 50 Tahun
- Muzium Pengkhianat cari calon 100 kaki rasuah
- Peringkat Pertama Kajian Kadar Tol Selesai.. tak l...
- Menangnya Soi Lek membuktikan UMNO dan MCA itu sam...
- UMNO/BN tidak setanding PR dalam Perang Cyber.
- Lawak Pagi Ahad, 10,000 lebih hadir AGM Perkasa......
- Pemuda UMNO tidak dilayan MB Perlis..
- Malaysia Berhadapan Risiko Kehilangan FDI Dari Jep...
- Video Clip : DSAI di 'Selamatkan Malaysia', Hulu ...
- Ekonomi tak berkembang, ujud ketegangan kaum keran...
- Gambar : 10,000 di 'Selamatkan Malaysia', Hulu Kel...
- Rejim Zalim UMNO/BN perlu ditentang!!
- UMNO dah tak boleh diharap!!
- Angkatan Tentera RAYU naik gaji anggota ....
- Orang Melayu Tidak Yakin Umno Berupaya Lindungi Me...
- 10,000 Orang hadir pelancaran Perkasa?
- Tolak pemimpin bermukah?
- Malay corporate leaders to skip Perkasa AGM
- Video Clip : Sekitar Bantahan di depan Kedutaan Sw...
- Woit MIC! We are better then you la... - UMNO
- ADUN Titi Tinggi dan MB Perlis Pembohong - Pemuda ...
- Zalimnya Juara Rakyat, Madu diberi dibalas Tuba. (...
- Khairy dibidas Nazri Aziz kerana pertikai TV Selan...
- Dr Zainal: Pejuang Parti Yang Sukar Dicari Ganti
- Zalimnya.. Juara Rakyat..
- MP Hulu Selangor meninggal dunia
- Polis akan siasat YB Zul... tapi SPRM mana?
- Karpal Cabar Zul Nordin Dedah Nama Pihak Ketiga
- Lawan Tokeh : 5 Pemimpin UMNO Padang Besar dipangg...
- Najib Timbang Tambah Lesen Judi Lagi
- Sandiwara Si Kelentung (Zulkefli Nordin)
- Bahaya muqabalah Umno-Yahudi
- Yang sama antara 1Israel dan 1Malaysia....
- UMNO Padang Besar tetap mahu Adun Titi Tinggi undu...
- Apa orang kata.. PAS dan DAP bertaut juga..
- Nik Aziz antara dilantik semula ke Majlis Syura
- Video Clip : Kalabakan menghentam Bayan Baru..
- GST: Kerajaan boleh umum ditengah malam.
- Adun Titi Tinggi tidak AKAN letak jawatan: Najib
- Human Rights Watch Desak Gugurkan Kes Anwar
- Rumah Chegu Bard dibaling Molotov Cocktail.
- Pejuang Melayu Tulen Ada Saham Judi...
- Strategi Bijak Ong Ka Ting..
- Bukan tugas Speaker pujuk Adun letak jawatan
- Zahrain KATAK GEMUK!..
- TERKINI: RAJA KATAK MENGAMUK..
- Siapa Mursyidul Am akan ditentukan malam ini.
- Pembohong Berbohong lagi.. dari 8 menjadi 40 pula....
- Ambik kat hang Zahrain!!
- Ambik kat Hang Zahrain!! (English Edition)
- Biar Mereka berpaling tadah, jangan risau...
- Dah naik gaji pun depa rampas lagi buku Zunar?
- Pilihan Raya Kecil pertama di Perlis ?
- Melayu Johor diusir ke hutan..
- Kerjasama UMNO dan Israel
- PEMANTAU atau PENGACAU yang nak diwujudkan BN Pula...
- Saguhati RM100 pun BN Pulau Pinang nak jadikan isu...
- Pendedahan Zahrain : Apa kata Penganalisa Politik?...
- Zahrain, Isu 916 tu dah basi la...
- UMNO tuduh DSAI ejen Yahudi, tak mengapa?
- Ibrahim Ali, PERKASA dan Ku Klux Klan
- Zahrain keranamu gelap masa depan mereka....
- Najib meletakkan maruah negara di tahap paling Hin...
- Lagi kenyataan berbau perkauman oleh MP dari BN..
- Awang Selamat Biadab dan Bodoh!
- MCA Kedah pertikai kemunculan Ka Ting
- Keluar PKR : Tan Wei Shu nanti keputusan
- Dana REFORMIS : Syabas Tan Sri Khalid !!!
- UMNO "THE GREAT OF DAJAL" - SIRI 3
- ▼ March (298)