Thursday, March 11, 2010
‘Anwar 360′ show draws big crowds
The more the powers-that-be appear to harass him, the bigger the crowds that come to hear his version of political reality.
Clearly, pressure on their man whets his supporters’ appetite for what may well be dubbed the ‘Anwar Ibrahim 360′ show: the PKR supremo’s overall take, delivered in windmill fashion, on what is happening to the politics, economy, religion, and people of Malaysia.
On Tuesday night, a crowd of about 8,000 had braved pouring rain in Rasah, Negri Sembilan, to hear Anwar and DAP’s Lim Kit Siang lambasted the Umno-led BN for its high-intensity campaign to induce defections from Pakatan Rakyat’s ranks and for alleged unleashing the police force and the anti-corruption body, MACC, against the opposition’s elected representatives.
Earlier in the week, police had dispersed a crowd at the Sultan Sulaiman Club in Kampong Baru, Kuala Lumpur. The crowd gathered to celebrate the second anniversary of the political tsunami that had gained for the opposition control of four states and enhanced standing in one.
There followed a gathering at an indoor stadium in Shah Alam which also drew sizeable support but the exhibition of popular sentiment at Rasah, in inclement conditions, was the surest indicator that Pakatan’s taking public their case against undue BN harassment was catching on compellingly.
The 10,000 crowd that turned up at the Tapak Expo in Seberang Jaya last night waited patiently until 11pm for Anwar to appear.
Earlier it had listened with applause, polite and intermittent, to supporting speakers, which included PAS president Abdul Hadi Awang, Penang deputy chief ministers P Ramasamy and Mansor Othman, Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng and Karpal Singh.
Abdul Hadi’s disclosure that a motor accident causing the deaths of some ardent supporters back home in Marang, Terengganu, explained his hastened turn at the lectern which he used to moving effect by saying that Anwar’s caliber and present privations made it imperative that Pakatan continue to support him for the role of parliamentary opposition leader.
Justification for that position is tenuous now that defections have dropped Anwar’s party, PKR, to second place in the tally of opposition MPs. The post normally goes to the leader of the party with the highest number of seats.
Guan Eng warms up crowd
At last night’s gathering, the fact that a shower had cooled the heat of the earlier part of the evening helped reduce the people’s discomfort at standing for long among concretions of parked cars, motorcycles and human beings.
There was relief when the main attraction appeared about 15 minutes later than he usually does – 10.45pm is Anwar’s usual turn at the lectern. He had rushed to the place after addressing a gathering at Sungai Chenaam in Nibong Tebal. The crowd at this Malay hamlet, composed mainly of fishermen and farmers, was about 5,000.
Lim Guan Eng, who had preceded him at Sungai Chenaam and exited earlier to warm-up the crowd at Seberang Jaya, was speaking when Anwar arrived, pausing to allow the emcee to hail the PKR leader as ‘wira negara’ (nation’s hero).
Anwar spoke after DAP’s wheelchair-bound chairman Karpal had done his rousing little bit to assure the people that his lack of locomotion was no impediment to his fervour in legal espousal of Anwar and determination to see Pakatan emplaced in Putrajaya.
Anwar’s now much-delayed turn at the podium meant he had to race through his speech, but not at the expense of his singular ability at mixing high flown speculation with street vernacular.
This saw him quote the Malay thinker Za’aba, fetching a counsel of this reformist intellectual uttered in 1920 no less, and dovetailing it with the necessity for imperative reform to Malaysia’s political culture.
Anwar’s ability to mix high and low on issues to do with religion and secular concerns, culture and politics, and also of his interactions with foreign and domestic leaders, was all on evidence in a fast-paced speech of about 45 minutes’ duration.
He made it all sound he had a good grasp of the whole diorama of Malaysian history and that his lyrical grace under repressive pressure – he said the cops were waiting to question him on the morrow – was a thing the people could always count on.
That appeared to be what the crowd wanted to see from him, for many did not wait until the end to depart.
Having cooled their heels until his late arrival and been sufficiently gratified, they, near to midnight, began to straggle out of the sprawling grounds only to find people leaning on the guard rails in the distant periphery, still intent on the speaker’s content, audible through strategically dispersed speakers.
The lure of Anwar’s rhetorical magic is a thing of surprise, even to frequent listeners.
News by Terence Netto/Mkini
Photos by Anak Sungai Derhaka
‘Anwar 360′ show draws big crowds
Anak Sungai Derhaka
Pakatan Rakyat|Pulau Pinang|
- ► 2017 (207)
- ► 2016 (947)
- ► 2015 (1295)
- ► 2014 (1559)
- ► 2013 (1399)
- ► 2012 (1780)
- ► 2011 (2602)
- Proksi Najib, Muhyiddin bertarung di Sabah
- Mengapa Najib umum MEB di luar Parlimen?
- Berita Palsu 700 Ahli PKR Keluar Parti
- P094 : MIC Menyinga, UMNO Menikus...
- Selamatkan Malaysia dari Regim Zionis!
- RM100 : Dato Azhar kalau mahu isi borang, usah per...
- P094 : Khir Toyo ni, dengki kah?
- ROKOK mengandungi Hemoglobin BABI?
- APCO tidak bekerja dengan Yahudi?
- UMNO Penang Kini Ketandusan Pemimpin..
- Video dan Transkrip ucapan DSAI di Parlimen mengen...
- Patutlah Khairy bermatian mempertahankan APCO....
- P094 : Dei!! Siapa kata pengundi tolak MIC? - Semi...
- P094 : UMNO akan Mengorbankan MIC?
- Apco Ada Wakil Di Pejabat Perdana Menteri
- Disebalik Tirai APCO dan Najib...
- PERKASA yang PERASAN..
- Mak Aih!! Ramainya Ahli PKR keluar Parti!
- P094 : Hulu Selangor hak MIC, UMNO jangan terhegeh...
- Perak dah jadi Negeri Polis hari ini..
- Gambar : Alahai Terengganu.. Runtuh lagi..
- P094 : Muhyidin tolak Muhamad Taib sebagai calon B...
- P094 : Samy Vellu harus angkat bendera putih...
- AJK UMNO Bahagian Tanah Merah ditangkap khalwat
- Antara Kejahatan dan Kebaikan Ibrahim Ali Kepada A...
- Siapa sapu RM52 Billion Saham untuk Bumiputra?
- Exco UMNO Bukit Bendera letak jawatan beramai-rama...
- TG Nik Aziz kekal mursyidul am lima tahun lagi
- Kami tak Mahu MIC! - Ahli UMNO Hulu Selangor.
- Tajol Rosli iktiraf Sivakumar sebagai Speaker yang...
- UMNO! Jangan cakap soal Melayu kalau tak faham ert...
- Umno-BN Belum Sedar Diri Selepas 50 Tahun
- Muzium Pengkhianat cari calon 100 kaki rasuah
- Peringkat Pertama Kajian Kadar Tol Selesai.. tak l...
- Menangnya Soi Lek membuktikan UMNO dan MCA itu sam...
- UMNO/BN tidak setanding PR dalam Perang Cyber.
- Lawak Pagi Ahad, 10,000 lebih hadir AGM Perkasa......
- Pemuda UMNO tidak dilayan MB Perlis..
- Malaysia Berhadapan Risiko Kehilangan FDI Dari Jep...
- Video Clip : DSAI di 'Selamatkan Malaysia', Hulu ...
- Ekonomi tak berkembang, ujud ketegangan kaum keran...
- Gambar : 10,000 di 'Selamatkan Malaysia', Hulu Kel...
- Rejim Zalim UMNO/BN perlu ditentang!!
- UMNO dah tak boleh diharap!!
- Angkatan Tentera RAYU naik gaji anggota ....
- Orang Melayu Tidak Yakin Umno Berupaya Lindungi Me...
- 10,000 Orang hadir pelancaran Perkasa?
- Tolak pemimpin bermukah?
- Malay corporate leaders to skip Perkasa AGM
- Video Clip : Sekitar Bantahan di depan Kedutaan Sw...
- Woit MIC! We are better then you la... - UMNO
- ADUN Titi Tinggi dan MB Perlis Pembohong - Pemuda ...
- Zalimnya Juara Rakyat, Madu diberi dibalas Tuba. (...
- Khairy dibidas Nazri Aziz kerana pertikai TV Selan...
- Dr Zainal: Pejuang Parti Yang Sukar Dicari Ganti
- Zalimnya.. Juara Rakyat..
- MP Hulu Selangor meninggal dunia
- Polis akan siasat YB Zul... tapi SPRM mana?
- Karpal Cabar Zul Nordin Dedah Nama Pihak Ketiga
- Lawan Tokeh : 5 Pemimpin UMNO Padang Besar dipangg...
- Najib Timbang Tambah Lesen Judi Lagi
- Sandiwara Si Kelentung (Zulkefli Nordin)
- Bahaya muqabalah Umno-Yahudi
- Yang sama antara 1Israel dan 1Malaysia....
- UMNO Padang Besar tetap mahu Adun Titi Tinggi undu...
- Apa orang kata.. PAS dan DAP bertaut juga..
- Nik Aziz antara dilantik semula ke Majlis Syura
- Video Clip : Kalabakan menghentam Bayan Baru..
- GST: Kerajaan boleh umum ditengah malam.
- Adun Titi Tinggi tidak AKAN letak jawatan: Najib
- Human Rights Watch Desak Gugurkan Kes Anwar
- Rumah Chegu Bard dibaling Molotov Cocktail.
- Pejuang Melayu Tulen Ada Saham Judi...
- Strategi Bijak Ong Ka Ting..
- Bukan tugas Speaker pujuk Adun letak jawatan
- Zahrain KATAK GEMUK!..
- TERKINI: RAJA KATAK MENGAMUK..
- Siapa Mursyidul Am akan ditentukan malam ini.
- Pembohong Berbohong lagi.. dari 8 menjadi 40 pula....
- Ambik kat hang Zahrain!!
- Ambik kat Hang Zahrain!! (English Edition)
- Biar Mereka berpaling tadah, jangan risau...
- Dah naik gaji pun depa rampas lagi buku Zunar?
- Pilihan Raya Kecil pertama di Perlis ?
- Melayu Johor diusir ke hutan..
- Kerjasama UMNO dan Israel
- PEMANTAU atau PENGACAU yang nak diwujudkan BN Pula...
- Saguhati RM100 pun BN Pulau Pinang nak jadikan isu...
- Pendedahan Zahrain : Apa kata Penganalisa Politik?...
- Zahrain, Isu 916 tu dah basi la...
- UMNO tuduh DSAI ejen Yahudi, tak mengapa?
- Ibrahim Ali, PERKASA dan Ku Klux Klan
- Zahrain keranamu gelap masa depan mereka....
- Najib meletakkan maruah negara di tahap paling Hin...
- Lagi kenyataan berbau perkauman oleh MP dari BN..
- Awang Selamat Biadab dan Bodoh!
- MCA Kedah pertikai kemunculan Ka Ting
- Keluar PKR : Tan Wei Shu nanti keputusan
- Dana REFORMIS : Syabas Tan Sri Khalid !!!
- UMNO "THE GREAT OF DAJAL" - SIRI 3
- ▼ March (298)