Sebarang petunjuk yang menunjukkan Mahkamah Malaysia bebas dari kongkongan Kerajaan Malaysia kini telah hilang dari pandangan sama sekali, bilamana lima Hakim Mahkamah Persekutuan mengistiharkan bahawa Zambry Abdul Kadir dari UMNO adalah Menteri Besar yang sah bagi negeri Perak, negeri kedua terbesar dan antara yang terkaya di Semenanjung Malaysia…
Any indication that Malaysia's courts were becoming independent of the government disappeared from view again Tuesday when the five-member Federal Court ruled that United Malays National Organization stalwart Zambry Abdul Kadir is the rightful chief minister of the state of Perak, the country's second biggest and one of its richest.
The state has been caught a constitutional crisis since May of 2009, with the government paralyzed by the controversy over who was actually in charge. Perak had been controlled by the national opposition coalition Pakatan Rakyat as a result of the March 2008 national election, with Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin as chief minister. However, then-Deputy Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak engineered the defection of three lawmakers, bringing the government to a halt in a 28-28 tie. Upon their defection, Sultan Raja Azlan Shah immediately ordered Nizar to vacate his position and installed Zambry in his place.
That kicked off a melee in which 65 people were arrested. Ahead of Tuesday's decision, Rais yatim, the the Information Communication and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim, was quoted by the state-owned national wire service Bernama as calling on the people to be calm.
"We should respect the decision irrespective of whether it favors A or B. We are confident in our judicial system and in the way the law is administered," Bernama quoted him as saying.
Kuala Lumpur High Court Judge Abdul Aziz Rahim ruled on May 11 that the sultan lacked the authority to remove Nizar without a vote of confidence in the statehouse, only to have the appellate court put his decision in abeyance a few hours later. The case – and the Perak state government – have been stalled as the Federal Court, the country's highest, took up the decision in November and has chewed on it ever since.
The ruling, led by Court of Appeal president Alauddin Mohd Sheriff, was built on the premise that the Barisan Nasional, or ruling national coalition, controls 31 votes in the Perak statehouse although no vote has ever been taken, and while the three defectors are said to be leaning towards the Barisan, they have given no official indication that they would cross the aisle. The Election Commission refused a letter proclaiming the realignment of their loyalty, setting the stage for the constitutional crisis.
When Nizar refused to go, instead of waiting for Judge Abdul Aziz's original ruling, elite federal Field Reserve Unit police invaded the Ipoh statehouse on May 7 to drag opposition Speaker V. Sivakumar out of the chambers amid flying furniture and protests that resulted in the arrest of 65 people. As far as can be determined, it is the first time in Malaysian history that federal police had ever entered a legislature.
The ruling appears unlikely to end the continuing political uncertainty in either Perak or the government. Political analysts in Kuala Lumpur say the logical solution to the stalemate – a state popular by-election to determine the makeup of the statehouse – is unlikely because Najib and the Barisan do not believe they could win it.
The state, long a tin mining center, has an extremely large Chinese and Indian population and the Chinese have largely abandoned the Barisan because of the collapse into scandal of the Malaysian Chinese Association, which is embroiled in infighting over the disappearance of billions of dollars in the attempt to turn Port Klang, 60 km. west of Kuala Lumpur, into a multimodal port.
The Barisan instead appears to be counting on time to bring the voters, particularly disaffected ethnic Malays who have abandoned UMNO for the fundamentalist Parti Islam se-Malaysia and Anwar Ibrahim's Parti Keadilan Rakyat, or People's Justice Party, because of a long series of scandals and outright crimes.
However, Anwar is on trial in Kuala Lumpur in what has been widely billed as Sodomy 2, on charges of sodomizing a former aide in a trial that to everybody but the government itself appears to be built on dubious allegations that were laid to derail the first realistic challenge to the ruling national coalition since the country was formed.
In the meantime, his party is beset by infighting in several state assemblies, particularly Penang and Selangor, with a growing number of restive lawmakers threatening to leave the opposition coalition and return to the Barisan. Three have been brought before a disciplinary committee of the opposition coalition seeking answers to questions over their use of personal expense accounts.
The coalition that Anwar cobbled together has been an unlikely one from the start, with the Islamic, largely rural and fundamentalist PAS on one side and the ethnic Chinese Democratic Action Party on the other, with Anwar's moderate, urban Malays in the middle. Zulkifli Nordin, a member of Anwar's Parti Keadilan Rakyat, was quoted publicly earlier this week as predicting mass resignations over the next two to three weeks over tensions with the DAP and PKR's difficulty in dealing with them.
"The problem was that Anwar rounded up a bunch of incompetents to run in 2008, and disillusionment was so great with UMNO that a lot of people got voted into office who should never have been voted into office," said a businessman in Kuala Lumpur. The opposition coalition, he said, has thus never been able to capitalize on its gains by actually paying attention to governing. At the same time, the opposition has been harried by Najib's use of law enforcement powers including the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission and others to bring opposition lawmakers in on charges that many observers believe are superfluous.
Nonetheless, the court's decision appears certain to reinforce popular opinion that Malaysia's judiciary is thoroughly in the pockets of UMNO. That isn't helped by the case against Anwar, who is charged with having consensual sex with the former aide, a charge that is extremely rare in Malaysia and especially Kuala Lumpur, where gay bars abound and homosexuality isn't particularly condemned despite the fact that it is nominally against the law. An examination of the evidence against him in similar charges in 1998 leads to the overwhelming conclusion that it was concocted to derail his political career.
The case has been put on temporary hold as Anwar's lead counsel, Karpal Singh, seeks to disqualify the presiding judge, Mohd Zabidin Mohd Diah.
- ► 2017 (207)
- ► 2016 (947)
- ► 2015 (1295)
- ► 2014 (1559)
- ► 2013 (1399)
- ► 2012 (1780)
- ► 2011 (2602)
- Takkan Uniform Tentera pun kena jual kot?
- Klinik 1Malaysia, Klinik haram?
- Sepakat desak, gugurkan pendakwaan Anwar
- Pelajar dipaksa tulis surat kepada PM 1Malaysia.
- Chile Earthquake Photos
- RM10 untuk Hadir Ceramah..
- Penanti Bangkit konon...
- PAS cabar Zahrain letak jawatan
- UMNO Permatang Pauh bergaduh rupanya...
- UMNO Semakin terdesak...
- Permaisuri Agong Wanita Pertama Malaysia, bukan Ro...
- Mereka akan terima, sebagaimana yang diterima oleh...
- Semoga Pak Lah juga panjang UMUR!!
- Semoga Tun Mahathir panjang umurnya...
- Protes laksana GST di ibu negara bulan depan
- Pstt.. Depa kata ada Video Lucah Najib dan Altantu...
- Lawan Tetap Lawan, Johor Tetap Ditawan
- Bila Binatang bertopengkan Manusia...
- Royalti : UMNO takut bertindak terhadap Ku Li?
- As expected, no ‘fair trial’ for Anwar
- Zahrain Sudah Mesra Barisan Nasional kah?
- Hak Melayu Terhakis?
- EKONOMI MALAYSIA: RETAK MENANTI BELAH
- UMNO dan Fitnah berpisah tiada..
- Kenapa Melayu juga meninggalkan Tanah Melayu?
- UMNO kata tak ada perarakan di Penang , tapi berit...
- Adakah Pemuda BN akan berdemo di depan kedutaan Ca...
- Ekonomi Pulih : Siapa Bohong, Najib atau Ceupacs?
- Ku Li: Even Malays leaving Tanah Melayu
- Nazri Aziz berbohong di Washington.
- GST : Kerajaan kaut untung , Rakyat tanggung rugi
- Rumah ADUN Yang Hampir Diisytihar Muflis Disimbah ...
- Elaun Cuti Bersalin Guru KAFA di Johor dihapuskan....
- Gambar : Sekitar Majlis Semarak Merakyatkan Ekonom...
- MCA Bantah hukuman Sebat.. Mana UMNO?
- Selamatkan Malaysia ! DSAI terus gerakkan sokongan...
- Hebat! 10 minit saja untuk curi enjin jet tu..
- Kugan Tidak Cedera Sebelum Masuk Lokap
- 8000 Hadir ke Ceramah di Stadium Mini Pasir Mas
- AKU TAK PEDULI !!
- Gambar : Sekitar Ceramah DSAI di Jeniang, Kedah.
- GPMS : Gabungan Pondan Melayu Semenanjung ?
- Budak yang diselamatkan Pemuda UMNO tu.. tak diseb...
- Royalti : Kelantan mahu penjelasan Najib yang Must...
- Laporan Polis, Usaha Umno Tekan Guan Eng.
- Ceh!! Tak ada sambutan rupanya majlis Najib di Pan...
- EKONOMI Negara belum PULIH - Zahid Hamidi.
- Pemulihan Ekonomi : Woit!! Mau tipu ka?
- Alahai... Penatlah Pemuda BN nak berdemo kali ini....
- Lagi berita yang menggembirakan rakyat akan diumum...
- Sudahlah Pengecut, BIADAP pula!
- Shahidan nak jadi MB Perlis semula?
- Murugiah dan 210,000 Ahli PPP akan keluar Parti..
- Top 100 Global Thinker, Anwar No. 32.. but where's...
- Guan Eng bantu perkembangan Syiar Islam, Ali Rosta...
- Hasil balak PR Kedah RM38Juta, semasa BN RM8Juta s...
- Siapa kata Tender Terbuka akan memingirkan Melayu?...
- Isu Royalti : Rakyat Sudah faham, UMNO Belum - Za...
- Iklan Isu Royalti mengelirukan - Ku Li
- Kecut Telur mereka bila diajak berdebat!
- Demo di Komtar : Baru nak ambil keterangan?
- 40,000 atau 5,000 yang menyambut Najib di Pandamar...
- 'Saya akan heret Najib dan Rosmah ke Mahkamah' - ...
- DSAI di Rumah Terbuka CNY Macang Bubuk..
- Tangisan Pilu Rakyat Sabah mengenang nasib Anwar.
- Gambar Sekitar Protes 'UMNO Juara Rakyat' Permatan...
- Melayu dan Mamak Penang...
- Isyarat Kung Fu tu Najib, Bukan Gong Xi Fa Cai..
- Alahai... Susahla Khir Toyo kalau macam ni..
- Tan Sri Harussani! Perempuan ini bagaimana?
- UMNO Juara Rakyat di Permatang Pauh diprotes..
- Terima Wang itu biasalah.. - Orang UMNO
- Lagi.. Melayu dipinggir di Pulau Pinang
- PENGKHIANAT itu DEPA, bukan SAYA!! - Zahrain
- PR is now Pakatan Rakyat Malaysia.. Harap maklum!
- Himpunan Syok Sendiri UMNO Kelantan Gagal
- Saya tak Control Najib kata Rosmah
- RM2 Juta tu, Najib ambil Duit Kerajaan atau Duit U...
- Apa Khabar UMNO Melaka??
- Laaa.. Bodoh rupanya Brahim Ali ni..
- Utusang Sping kenyataang saya - TG Hj. Hadi
- Hujah TV9 Isu P.Pinang, Kebodohan wakil UMNO terse...
- Cis!! Harapkan Pagar.. Pagar Makan Padi..
- Sejarah tercipta di Dewan Millenium, Kepala Batas!...
- Mengapa Umno sibuk pertikai sambutan Maulidur Rasu...
- "Saya akan lakukan yang terbaik untuk rakyat" Guan...
- AWAS Perangkap Perkauman - Mat Sabu
- Khairy ! RM2 Juta tu.. gunalah buat hantar Pemuda ...
- Gelak sama Depa..Nak Kutuk Mat Salleh tapi ejaan p...
- Bekas Timbalan Menteri keluar BN sokong PR!!
- Ceh!! Penakut rupanya YB Zul ni..
- Disebalik " Tiada Krisis dalam Pemuda UMNO"
- "Babi, siai, binatang, barua, kurang ajaq!" kata M...
- Video Clip : Depa kata, 50 MP Australia diarah ole...
- No protest against US, says KJ .. err.. Takut ke?
- Ini memang kerja Zulkifli!
- Alahai Najib.. Kena perli pun masih tak sedar..
- YB Zul Gila publisiti.
- Demo BN dan Perkasa memprotes Australia, 60,000 Ha...
- Amerika pulak dah.. US Desak Najib Berlaku Adil Ke...
- ▼ February (233)