Ini adalah surat yang telah dihantar kepada The Malaysian Insider oleh seorang pelajar Malaysia Ahmad Naim Mazlan yang sedang menuntut dalam bidang Accounting and Finance di UK
A student in the United Kingdom is exposed to many experiences. The apolitical learn to be political, the apathetic become aware, the previously anti-social join student-run clubs and harness talents they never knew they had.
And beyond these positive developments, I learnt a few days ago that a first-year student such as myself can also find that the Malaysian dream can be stomped even in the land that teaches us the values of democracy, freedom and equality.
I learnt of the impending arrival in London of a large delegation consisting Umno leaders from a few friends in Kelab Umno London.
There was to be a private session between the delegation and Kelab Umno leaders/members. For the record, I had contemplated joining the club which swore to be run solely for the purposes of the welfare of Malay(sian) students in the British capital.
But ever the student I am, procrastination is my middle name. In any case, I was not overly keen to meet with the Umno delegation, which included the Umno Secretary Datuk Rauf (something) and around six or seven Umno Youth Exco members (some look like post-graduate students, so I cannot tell the difference) and ladies, but because food was on my mind I decided to accompany my friends headed down to Malaysian Students Department, or MSD (located next to Malaysia Hall) anyway.
Respecting the private nature of the discussion, I sat outside the modest room housed by MSD gobbling away (self-paid) where the session was being held. Unknown to those inside the room, much said in there was audible from those sitting near the back partition. The window overlooking Queensborough Terrace where MSD is located also makes it quite easy to look into the hall. Armed with a book, I tried reading while sipping teh tarik, but I can't seem to bring my mind to concentrate on reading. Disturbing words of racist politics could be heard from the cracks of the partition.
The only person to take the stage was the quite sizeable Umno Secretary, Rauf whilst the Umno Youth exco members also fielded questions from the floor. I wasn’t eavesdropping, but the booming voices — especially those of Rauf and one Umno Youth member by the name of Megat — made it quite easy to make out the racist remarks which were spilling out of their primary orifice.
In his rant, Rauf called non-Malays “bangsa asing” who were trampling on the Malays in “Tanah Melayu”. I remember a direct quote, “Jangan biarkan bangsa asing pijak kepala kita”, as though the non Malays were interested in little else than seeing Malays fail for their sinister, selfish goals.
There was also a vigorous defence of Datuk Nasir Safar’s recent comments against non Malays which branded non Malays as beggars and prostitutes. According to one Umno Youth exco member present, those comments were not racist but quite contrarily, “just facts”. My oh my, I saw a Chinese couple next to me, trying to tune out the words and focus on their meals.
Throughout the session, non-Malays were treated as the enemy, and whilst they did praise Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak, there was no mention of 1 Malaysia, unity or multiracial nation-building. During some moments in the session, they sounded nothing less than Vikings on the path to war — an Umno Youth exco said something to the effect of Umno willing to fight to the death the threats made by non-Malays. These threats were, strangely enough, never detailed.
Regardless, what I found most disturbing is the fact that these individuals, by all accounts, are (I think) high ranking Umno leaders. Rauf, for all intents and purposes, as I googled, is the COO of Umno. Whatever one thinks of Umno’s sloganeering via 1 Malaysia, the fact is that if even these individuals cannot help but promote the diametric opposite to what 1Malaysia is supposed to entail, then what hope is there for Umno and BN?
As much as what Najib says and does count above all else, it is most shameful that his generals are doing their best to derail the Malaysian dream. Najib’s decision to fire his aide only last week was commendable, but he was just an aide. Will he take similar measures against people with positions in the party who speak out against 1 Malaysia? I may be just a kid yet, but if Najib is to succeed as a reformist, then he must make sure the entire — or at least much of the party — follows suit.
Otherwise, even the son of a lifelong Umno member will think twice about voting BN. Sigh. Shaken I was despite not sitting for the meeting. Umno propaganda is indeed powerful.
*Ahmad Naim Mazlan is a first year accounting and finance student in the UK
Sumber surat The Malaysian Insider
Thursday, February 11, 2010
'Jangan biarkan bangsa asing pijak kepala kita' berkumandang di London..
'Jangan biarkan bangsa asing pijak kepala kita' berkumandang di London..
Anak Sungai Derhaka
Dari Media Online|UMNO|
- ► 2016 (596)
- ► 2015 (1295)
- ► 2014 (1559)
- ► 2013 (1399)
- ► 2012 (1780)
- ► 2011 (2602)
- Takkan Uniform Tentera pun kena jual kot?
- Klinik 1Malaysia, Klinik haram?
- Sepakat desak, gugurkan pendakwaan Anwar
- Pelajar dipaksa tulis surat kepada PM 1Malaysia.
- Chile Earthquake Photos
- RM10 untuk Hadir Ceramah..
- Penanti Bangkit konon...
- PAS cabar Zahrain letak jawatan
- UMNO Permatang Pauh bergaduh rupanya...
- UMNO Semakin terdesak...
- Permaisuri Agong Wanita Pertama Malaysia, bukan Ro...
- Mereka akan terima, sebagaimana yang diterima oleh...
- Semoga Pak Lah juga panjang UMUR!!
- Semoga Tun Mahathir panjang umurnya...
- Protes laksana GST di ibu negara bulan depan
- Pstt.. Depa kata ada Video Lucah Najib dan Altantu...
- Lawan Tetap Lawan, Johor Tetap Ditawan
- Bila Binatang bertopengkan Manusia...
- Royalti : UMNO takut bertindak terhadap Ku Li?
- As expected, no ‘fair trial’ for Anwar
- Zahrain Sudah Mesra Barisan Nasional kah?
- Hak Melayu Terhakis?
- EKONOMI MALAYSIA: RETAK MENANTI BELAH
- UMNO dan Fitnah berpisah tiada..
- Kenapa Melayu juga meninggalkan Tanah Melayu?
- UMNO kata tak ada perarakan di Penang , tapi berit...
- Adakah Pemuda BN akan berdemo di depan kedutaan Ca...
- Ekonomi Pulih : Siapa Bohong, Najib atau Ceupacs?
- Ku Li: Even Malays leaving Tanah Melayu
- Nazri Aziz berbohong di Washington.
- GST : Kerajaan kaut untung , Rakyat tanggung rugi
- Rumah ADUN Yang Hampir Diisytihar Muflis Disimbah ...
- Elaun Cuti Bersalin Guru KAFA di Johor dihapuskan....
- Gambar : Sekitar Majlis Semarak Merakyatkan Ekonom...
- MCA Bantah hukuman Sebat.. Mana UMNO?
- Selamatkan Malaysia ! DSAI terus gerakkan sokongan...
- Hebat! 10 minit saja untuk curi enjin jet tu..
- Kugan Tidak Cedera Sebelum Masuk Lokap
- 8000 Hadir ke Ceramah di Stadium Mini Pasir Mas
- AKU TAK PEDULI !!
- Gambar : Sekitar Ceramah DSAI di Jeniang, Kedah.
- GPMS : Gabungan Pondan Melayu Semenanjung ?
- Budak yang diselamatkan Pemuda UMNO tu.. tak diseb...
- Royalti : Kelantan mahu penjelasan Najib yang Must...
- Laporan Polis, Usaha Umno Tekan Guan Eng.
- Ceh!! Tak ada sambutan rupanya majlis Najib di Pan...
- EKONOMI Negara belum PULIH - Zahid Hamidi.
- Pemulihan Ekonomi : Woit!! Mau tipu ka?
- Alahai... Penatlah Pemuda BN nak berdemo kali ini....
- Lagi berita yang menggembirakan rakyat akan diumum...
- Sudahlah Pengecut, BIADAP pula!
- Shahidan nak jadi MB Perlis semula?
- Murugiah dan 210,000 Ahli PPP akan keluar Parti..
- Top 100 Global Thinker, Anwar No. 32.. but where's...
- Guan Eng bantu perkembangan Syiar Islam, Ali Rosta...
- Hasil balak PR Kedah RM38Juta, semasa BN RM8Juta s...
- Siapa kata Tender Terbuka akan memingirkan Melayu?...
- Isu Royalti : Rakyat Sudah faham, UMNO Belum - Za...
- Iklan Isu Royalti mengelirukan - Ku Li
- Kecut Telur mereka bila diajak berdebat!
- Demo di Komtar : Baru nak ambil keterangan?
- 40,000 atau 5,000 yang menyambut Najib di Pandamar...
- 'Saya akan heret Najib dan Rosmah ke Mahkamah' - ...
- DSAI di Rumah Terbuka CNY Macang Bubuk..
- Tangisan Pilu Rakyat Sabah mengenang nasib Anwar.
- Gambar Sekitar Protes 'UMNO Juara Rakyat' Permatan...
- Melayu dan Mamak Penang...
- Isyarat Kung Fu tu Najib, Bukan Gong Xi Fa Cai..
- Alahai... Susahla Khir Toyo kalau macam ni..
- Tan Sri Harussani! Perempuan ini bagaimana?
- UMNO Juara Rakyat di Permatang Pauh diprotes..
- Terima Wang itu biasalah.. - Orang UMNO
- Lagi.. Melayu dipinggir di Pulau Pinang
- PENGKHIANAT itu DEPA, bukan SAYA!! - Zahrain
- PR is now Pakatan Rakyat Malaysia.. Harap maklum!
- Himpunan Syok Sendiri UMNO Kelantan Gagal
- Saya tak Control Najib kata Rosmah
- RM2 Juta tu, Najib ambil Duit Kerajaan atau Duit U...
- Apa Khabar UMNO Melaka??
- Laaa.. Bodoh rupanya Brahim Ali ni..
- Utusang Sping kenyataang saya - TG Hj. Hadi
- Hujah TV9 Isu P.Pinang, Kebodohan wakil UMNO terse...
- Cis!! Harapkan Pagar.. Pagar Makan Padi..
- Sejarah tercipta di Dewan Millenium, Kepala Batas!...
- Mengapa Umno sibuk pertikai sambutan Maulidur Rasu...
- "Saya akan lakukan yang terbaik untuk rakyat" Guan...
- AWAS Perangkap Perkauman - Mat Sabu
- Khairy ! RM2 Juta tu.. gunalah buat hantar Pemuda ...
- Gelak sama Depa..Nak Kutuk Mat Salleh tapi ejaan p...
- Bekas Timbalan Menteri keluar BN sokong PR!!
- Ceh!! Penakut rupanya YB Zul ni..
- Disebalik " Tiada Krisis dalam Pemuda UMNO"
- "Babi, siai, binatang, barua, kurang ajaq!" kata M...
- Video Clip : Depa kata, 50 MP Australia diarah ole...
- No protest against US, says KJ .. err.. Takut ke?
- Ini memang kerja Zulkifli!
- Alahai Najib.. Kena perli pun masih tak sedar..
- YB Zul Gila publisiti.
- Demo BN dan Perkasa memprotes Australia, 60,000 Ha...
- Amerika pulak dah.. US Desak Najib Berlaku Adil Ke...
- ▼ February (233)